At the meeting this past Saturday we touched a little bit on condiments and how you can make your own. I found this great recipe for Paleo Mayonnaise that is simple and does not require a lot of ingredients. Missing your mayo? Give this recipe a try!
- Large wire whisk or electric blender
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar or lemon juice (more drops as needed to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dry or prepared mustard
- 1-1/2 to 2 cups of olive oil, other oil or a mixture of each. If the oil is cold, heat it to tepid; and if you are a novice, use the minimum amount. Macadamia oil works really well and has a milder flavor.
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- Warm the bowl in hot water; dry it. Add the egg yolks and beat for 1 to 2 minutes until they are thick and sticky.
- Add the vinegar or lemon juice, salt and mustard. Beat for 30 seconds more.
- The egg yolks are now ready to receive the oil. While it goes in, drop by drop, you must not stop beating until the sauce has thickened. A speed of 2 strokes per second is fast enough.
- You can switch hands or switch directions, as long as you beat constantly.
- Add the drops of oil with a teaspoon, or rest the lip of the bottle on the edge of the bowl. Keep your eye on the oil rather than on the sauce. Stop pouring and continue beating every 10 seconds or so, to be sure the egg yolks are absorbing the oil.
- After 1/3 to 1/2 cup of oil has been incorporated, the sauce will thicken into a very heavy cream and the crisis of potential curdling is over. The beating arm may rest a moment. Then, beat in the remaining oil by 1 to 2 tablespoon dollops, blending it thoroughly after each addition.
- When the sauce becomes too thick and stiff, beat in drops of vinegar or lemon juice to thin it out. Then continue with the oil.
- Beat the boiling water into the sauce. This is an anti-curdling insurance. Season to taste. If the sauce is not used immediately, scrape it into a small bowl and cover it tightly so a skin will not form on its surface.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Number of servings: 2-3 cups
check out this link for more info http://eatdrinkpaleo.com.au/julia-child-paleo-mayonnaise-recipe/