It’s that season to use up the thousands of tomatoes growing in your garden. Try this recipe! I haven’t tried it yet, but I’m salivating just thinking about it!
- 6 large tomatoes;
- 6 eggs;
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil;
- 6-8 romaine or boston lettuce leaves;
- 1 garlic clove;
- ¼ cup fresh parsley;
- ½ tsp sea salt;
- 3/8 tsp freshly ground black pepper;
- Begin by making the pesto. Tear the romaine leaves into small pieces. Add the romaine, garlic, parsley, salt, pepper and olive oil to a blender or food processor. Process well until you obtain a pesto consistency.
- Preheat your oven to 400 F.
- Remove the core of tomatoes by cutting out a large cone from the top of each one with a paring knife. Using a spoon, remove all the pulp and seeds.
- Place the tomatoes, face up, in a 9” baking dish. Fill each with the same amount of pesto; however, be sure to leave enough room for the egg as well. Crack an egg into each tomato.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste, place in the preheated oven and allow to bake for approximately 20 minutes.
I don’t know about you, but I’m a major fan of pesto. Here are some options for more pesto recipes
basil pesto (w/chicken dinner)